I was so excited when this summer began. Our family has started on a journey of eating more fresh vegetables and fruits so I couldn’t wait for our local farmer’s markets to open. We usually stroll through the stands once a week and pick up everything from yellow tomatoes to fresh herbs to tasty home made confections. I normally prepare a vegetable stir-fry, but this time I tried something new.
Brown Rice Vegetable Wraps
This is a wonderful summer vegetable recipe from A Very Veggie World cookbook by Clare Crespo. It’s a great inspiration for ways to make eating vegetables fun again for the whole family and comes as a special edition of the Crock Country Chronicle from Country Crock. With 70% less saturated fat and 30% fewer calories than butter – it’s a great way to add flavor to your favorite dish.
In addition to the recipe ingredients I also added some fresh green bell pepper since it’s one of my family’s favorites. Feel free to experiment with different veggies like broccoli, squash, capers and more – create your perfect veggie wrap. Need something more substantial? Try adding chopped chicken breast or black beans.
You can also use instant brown rice if you’re in a pinch for time. Just cut back the amount of vegetable broth you use when you saute your filling.
Before baking I drizzled melted Country Crock over my wraps and sprinkled lightly with garlic powder. I served mine with fresh sliced yellow tomatoes. You can also use purple cabbage for a beautiful burst of color on your plate.
- 4 Tbsp Country Crock Spread
- 20 Green Onions (green set aside, white chopped)
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- ½ Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ⅛ tsp fresh or dried oregano, crushed or minced
- ½ cup green peas (optional)
- 8 Large Cabbage leaves (green or purple)
- Boil cabbage leaves in a large pot of water - approximately 5 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool.
- Turn off heat to water. Place green onion stems in water to soften.
- Melt 3 tbsp Country Crock spread in a large skillet on medium heat
- Add chopped onion, carrots, garlic and bell pepper.
- Cook until soft.
- Add broth, rice, tomato paste and oregano. Stir until paste is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approx. 40 min (until liquid is absorbed)
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Assemble wraps as shown in image above
- Place wraps in baking dish with ½ inch of water.
- Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp of Country Crock over wraps and sprinkle lightly with garlic powder (optional pepper)
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Set wraps on serving plate.
- Wrap softened green onion steps around each wrap, tie at the top.
Country Crock wants to share the Summer Vegetable love – One (1) RJC reader will win a Country Crock Summer Veggie Appreciation Prize Pack:
- Summer veggie/picnic basket
- Happy Face colander
- Veggie Peeler
- Bamboo cutting board from Crate&Barrel
- A Very Veggie World cook book
- Coupon for a free tub of Country Crock
Giveaway ends: August 30, 2012 @ 11:59 PM EST. Open to US residents 18+. Winner will be notified via email and have 48 hours to respond or another winner will be selected. Prize will be shipped from sponsor company.
This post is in partnership with Country Crock Spread. I received a complementary prize pack seen above in exchange for my honest opinions and hosting this giveaway.